- Chacour, Elias, and David Hazard. Blood Brothers. Grand Rapids, MI: Chosen, 1984.
- Corbett, Steve and Brian Fikkert. When Helping Hurts: How to Alleviate Poverty Without Hurting the Poor . . . and Yourself. Moody: Chicago. 2009.
- Corbett, Steve and Brian Fikkert. Helping Without Hurting in Short-Term Missions. Moody: Chicago.2014.
- Dean, Judith M., Julie Schaffner, and Stephen L.S. Smith. Attacking Poverty in the Developing World. Authentic: Waynesboro, GA. 2005.
- Dearborn, Tim. Short-Term Missions Workbook from Mission Tourists to Global Citizens. InterVarsitiy Press: Madison, WI. 2003.
- Dharmaraj, Glory E. Concepts of Mission. New York: The Women’s Division, General Board of Global Ministries, The United Methodist Church, 1999.
- Dharmaraj, Glory. Mutuality in Mission. General Board of Global Ministries of the United Methodist Church: New York City. 2001.
- Elmer, Duane. Cross-Cultural Conflict: Building Relationships for Effective Ministry. InterVarsity Press: Downers Grove, IL. 1993.
- Entwistle, Dan. Adam Hamilton, Series Editor Recruiting Volunteers. Abingdon Press: Nashville. 2007.
- General Board of Global Ministries of the United Methodist Church. A Mission Journey: A Handbook for Volunteers. Discipleship Resources: Nashville. 2013.
- Gittins, Anthony J. Called to Be Sent: Co-missioned as Disciples Today. Liguori, MO: Liguori Publications, 2008.
- Gittins, Anthony J. Ministry at the Margins: Strategy and Spirituality for Mission. Maryknoll, NY: Orbis, 2002.
- Guess, Catherine Ritch. Because He Lives: Faith, Hope
andLove in Action. Hendersonville, NC: CRM Books, 2010.
- Ives, Jane P. Transforming Ventures: A Spiritual Guide for Volunteers in Mission. Nashville, TN: Upper Room, 2000.
- Kohls, L. Robert. Survival Kit for Overseas Living. Intercultural Press: Yarmouth, ME. 1996.
- Lanier, Sarah A. Foreign to Familiar. McDougal: Hagerstown, MD. 2000.
- Livermore, David A. Serving with Eyes Wide Open: Doing Short-Term Missions with Cultural Intelligence. Baker Books: Grand Rapids. 2006.
- McLaren, Brian D. More Ready Than You
Realize:The Power of everyday ConversaEverydayondervan: Grand Rapids. 2006.
- Nouwen, Henri J.M. The Spirituality of Fund-Raising. Henri Nouwen Society: Ontario. 2004.
- Nuessle, John Edward. Faithful Witness: United Methodist Theology of Mission. General Board of Global Ministries: New York. 2008.
- Reilly, Beth, and Molly Marsh. Getting Ready to Come Back: Advocacy Guide for Mission Teams. Washington, DC: Bread for the World, 2009.
- Richter, Don C. Mission Trips That Matter: Embodied Faith for the Sake of the World. Nashville, TN: Upper Room, 2008.
- Rinehart, Stacy T. Upside Down: The Paradox of Servant Leadership.
Navpress: Colorado Springs. 1998.
- Roembke, Lianne. Building Credible Multicultural Teams. William Carey Library: Pasadena. 2000.
- Schnase, Robert. Five Practices of Fruitful Congregations – Risk-taking Mission and Service. Abingdon Press: Nashville. 2008.
- Taylor-Ide, Daniel and Carl E. Taylor. Just and Lasting Change: When Communities Own Their Futures. John Hopkins: Baltimore. 2002.
- Thangaraj, M. Thomas. The Common Task: A Theology of Christian Mission. Abingdon Press: Nashville. 1999.
- Werner, David. Where There Is No Doctor: A Village Health Care Handbook. Hesperian Foundation (Box 1692, Palo Alto, CA 93402).
- Yamamori, Tetsunao, Bryant L. Myers, and Kenneth L. Luscombe, ed. Serving with the Urban Poor. MARC: Monrovia, CA. 1998.